In 2012, Ocean City Beach 6 was one of thirteen American beaches that received a 5-star swimming water quality rating from the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC).
NRDC issued star ratings to 200 popular beaches around the country. The star system awards up to five stars to each popular beach for exceptionally low violation rates and strong testing and safety practices.
Criteria include testing more than once a week, notifying the public as soon as tests reveal bacterial levels violating health standards, and posting closings and advisories both online and at the beach.
Ocean City Beach 6 Superstar Beach Rating (5 out of 5 stars)
* Less than 5% of water samples exceeded national standards in 2010, 2011, and 2012
* Less than 5% of water samples exceeded national standards in 2012
* Local officials post advisories without re-sampling
* Closings/advisories posted online and at beach
* Water quality monitored more than once a week
source: Natural Resources Defense Council